on base, outside edge under proper left foot: PITTALUGA
Antonio Frilli, Florence; purchased 1915 in San Francisco by Frank Duncan MacPherson Strachan [1871-1931], Brunswick, Georgia; by inheritance in the Strachan family until 1966; moved after January 1966 to Strachan summer house, St. Simon's Island, Georgia; purchased with the house August 1966 by the Hon. William S. Stuckey, Jr., St. Simon's Island, Georgia, and Washington, D.C.; gift 1975 to NGA.
- Italian Section of the Palace of Manufactures and Varied Industries, Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco, 1915.
- Berman, Harold. Bronzes: Sculptors & Founders 1800-1930. 5 vols. Chicago, 1974-1981: 4(1980): no. 3148, repro.
- Southgate, M. Therese. "The Cover." Journal of the American Medical Association 245 (20 March 1981): 1160.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 175, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.