incised into model on side of self-base below the upper bear: BARYE
(Bernard Black Gallery, New York), by 1965; sold May 1966 to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1980 to NGA.
- Barye, Michelangelo of Animals, Marion Koogler McNay Art Institute, San Antonio, 1965, no. 30.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- Barye (1796-1875), Michelangelo of Animals. Exh. cat. Marion Koogler McNay Art Institute, San Antonio, 1965: no. 30.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 26, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 18-21, color repro.