Reginald Herbert, 15th Earl of Pembroke, Wilton House, Salisbury; (sale, Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, London, 5-10 July 1917, no. 466, as Leonardo da Vinci?); Bacri, Paris; Edward Fowles, New York, 1938; his widow, Mrs. Edward Fowles, New York; gift 1980 to NGA.
- Leonardo Lives, Seattle Art Museum, 1997, no. 27.
- Arcimboldo, 1526-1593: Nature and Fantasy, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Palazzo Reale, Milan, 2010-2011, brochure no. 28 (shown only in Washington).
- Strong, Sanford Arthur. Reproductions in Facsimile of Drawings by the Old Masters in the Collection of the earl of Pembroke and Montgomery at Wilton House. London, 1900: no. 15.
- Popham, A. E., and Pouncey, Philip. Italian Drawings in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum. The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries. London, 1950: 73.
- Bean, Jacob, and Lawrence Turcic. 15th and 16th Century Italian Drawings in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. New York, 1982: under no. 129.
- Pedretti, Carlo, and Trutty-Coohill, Patricia. The Drawings of Leonardo da Vinci and His Circle in America. Florence, 1993: 10, 46, 69, 93, no. 30e, fig. 1.
- Trutty-Coohill, Patricia. "The Spencer Collection of Grotesques and Caricatures after Leonardo," Arte Lombarda, nos. 105-106-107, 1993: 53, note 15.
- exh. cat. The Touch of the Artist, Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995: 82, under no. 11, fig.3 (Pietro Marani).
- Trutty-Coohill, Patricia. "Americana Aftermath," Achademia Leonardi Vinci, 9, 1996: 205-206, fig. 2.