lower right: Geo Bellows.
The artist [1882-1925]; by inheritance to his wife, Emma S. Bellows [1884-1959]; her estate; purchased July 1961 through (H.V. Allison & Co., New York) by Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; gift 1983 to NGA.
- Special Exhibition of Paintings by George Bellows, Leon Kroll, Eugene F. Savage, Walter Ufer, Paul Bartlett, Edgar S. Cameron, H. Aimard Oberteuffer, and George Oberteuffer, Art Institute of Chicago, 1924-1925, no. 16, as Venus.
- Bellows Exhibition, Durand-Ruel Galleries, February 1925, no. 3, as Nude.
- Exhibition of Paintings by George Bellows, Charles Hopkinson, Eugene Speicer, Boston Art Club, March 1925, no. 3, as Nude.
- Exhibition of Paintings by George Bellows, Charles Hopkinson, Robert Henri, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, April 1925, no. 3, as Nude.
- Exhibition of Paintings by George Bellows, Worcester Art Museum, February-March 1925, no. 11, as Nude.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Work of George Bellows, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, October-November 1925, no. 59, repro., as Venus.
- George Bellows, H.V. Allison & Co., New York, 1958, no. 14.
- George Bellows, H.V. Allison & Co., New York, May 1961, no. 15, cover repro.
- The Nude in American Painting, Brooklyn Museum, October-November 1961, no. 34.
- George Bellows, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 2012-2013, pl. 148 (shown only in New York).
- Peck, Glenn C. George Bellows' Catalogue Raisonné. H.V. Allison & Co. URL: http://www.hvallison.com. Accessed 16 August 2016.
- Bellows, Emma Louise Story. The Paintings of George Bellows. New York, 1929: 138, as Venus.
- Morgan, Charles H. George Bellows. Painter of America. New York, 1965: 278.
- Braider, Donald. George Bellows and the Ashcan School of Painting. New York, 1971: 140.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 32, repro.
- Quick, Michael, Jane Myers, Marianne Doezema, and Franklin Kelly. The Paintings of George Bellows. Exh. cat. Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Columbus (Ohio) Museum of Art; Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, 1992-1993. New York, 1992: 87, fig. 88.