lower left: E. Boudin 63
Charles de Bériot, Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 11 March 1901, no. 1); purchased by Georges Feydeau; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 4 April 1903, no. 3); purchased by (Bernheim-Jeune). (Durand-Ruel, Paris). (Hodebert, Paris). A. Comard, Paris. (Carroll Carstairs Gallery, New York); sold January 1958 to Mr. Paul Mellon, Upperville, VA; gift 1983 to NGA.
- Europäische Meister 1790-1910, Kunstmuseum, Winterthur, 1955, no. 19, as Plage.
- French Paintings from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon and Mrs. Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1966, no. 10, repro.
- Paintings by Eugène Boudin from the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1989, no cat.
- Boudin at Trouville, The Burrell Collection, Glasgow Museum; Courtauld Institute Galleries, London, 1992-1993, no. 30, repro., as The Beach at Trouville.
- Manet and the Sea, Art Institute of Chicago; Philadelphia Museum of Art; Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, 2003-2004, unnumbered catalogue, pl. 83.
- Eugène Boudin at the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2007, no cat.
- Eugene Boudin, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 2007-2008, no cat.
- Intimate Impressionism from the National Gallery of Art, Museo dell'Ara Pacis Augustae, Rome (exhibition title in this venue: Impressionist Gems); Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; McNay Art Museum, San Antonio; Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, Tokyo, Seattle Art Museum, 2013-2015.
- Schmidt, Robert. Eugéne Boudin, 1824-1898. 3 vols. Paris, 1973: I:274
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 64, repro.