upper right: Lydia Field Emmet
Rev. [1874-1958] and Mrs. [d. 1962, née Carol Green Mitchell] Anson Phelps Stokes, Lenox, Massachusetts; by inheritance to their daughter, Olivia Stokes Hatch [d. 1983, Mrs. John Davis Hatch], Lenox, Massachusetts; gift 1983 to NGA.
- 107th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, February-March 1912, no. 716.
- Fourth Exhibition: Oil Paintings by Contemporary Artists, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., December 1912-January 1913, no. 104.
- Seventh Annual Exhibition of Selected Paintings by American Artists, City Art Museum of St. Louis, September-? 1912, no. 42, repro.
- Sixteenth Annual Exhibition, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, April-June 1912, no. 99, repro.
- Esposizione Internazionale d'Arte della Citta di Venezia, Venice, 1924, no. 21.
- The Emmets: A Family of Women Painters, The Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, Massachusetts; The Danforth Museum, Framingham, Massachusetts, 1982, no. 48, pl. VI.
- American Women Artists 1830-1930, National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis Institute of Arts; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; San Diego Museum of Art; Meadows Museum, Southern Methodist Univ., Dallas, 1987-1988, no. 20, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. Dan Quayle, Vice President's House, Washington, D.C., 1989-1993.
- Extended loan for use by Mrs. Richard Cheney, Old Executive Office Building, Washington, D.C., 2001-2009.
- High Society: American Portraits of the Gilded Age, Bucerius Kunst Forum, Hamburg, 2008, no. 22, repro..
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 175, repro.