lower right in ink: John S. Sargent
Estate of Henry Schlesinger; Mrs. A. H. Berly; (Christie's, March 3, 1913, lot 33); (Colnaghi and Obach, New York, 1913); (Robinson and Farr, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1913); (Macbeth Gallery, New York); Mabel Stevens Smithers, Greenwich, Connecticut, 1925; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1952; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art
- The Salon, Paris, France, 1881, no. 3413 (or 3414), as "Vue de Venise"
- [exhibition title unknown], Macbeth Galleries, New York, 1925, no. 18, as "Piazza, Venice"
- John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC; Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, 1983, p. 54, no. 26, repro
- John Singer Sargent, Whitney Museum of American Art, 1986-1987; Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois, 1987, p. 213, no. 174, repro
- Whistler and His Circle in Venice, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003, p. 121, no. 89, repro
- Sargent and the Sea, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2009-2010
- Focus on the Corcoran: Works on Paper, 1860-1990, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2015.
- Adelson, Warren. John Singer Sargent: His Own Work. New York: Coe Kerr Gallery, 1980, p. unknown, as "Venetian Piazza"
- Simmons, Linda Crocker and with the assistance of Adrianne J. Humphrey, et al. American Drawings, Watercolors, Pastels, and Collages in the Collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, DC: Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1983: p. 105, no. 688.
- Honour, Hugh, and John Fleming. The Venetian Hours of Henry James, Whistler, and Sargent. London: Walker Books, 1991, p. 102.