The Andrew W. Mellon Memorial Fountain
Situated at the apex of the Federal Triangle complex in downtown Washington, DC, the Andrew W. Mellon Memorial Fountain will operate once again beginning March 17. The National Park Service transferred custody of the fountain and the surrounding triangular park to the National Gallery of Art in September 2015. Restoration and renovation of the fountain and site is made possible by a major grant from the Richard King Mellon Foundation.
The elegant three-tiered bronze fountain (which last operated in 2008) sits just north of the Gallery’s 6th Street entrance within a shallow granite pool and granite-paved plaza amid landscape plantings. Along with a carved granite bench dedicated to Andrew Mellon, the fountain was designed by Otto Eggers, who worked with John Russell Pope on the design of the West Building. It bears high-relief symbols of the zodiac designed by American sculptor Sidney Waugh. First opened in 1952, the fountain once more honors the Gallery’s founder.