lower right in reverse: Rembrandt f. 1656
Antique shop, Yorkshire; sold 1946 to private collection, England; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26-27 June 1997, no. 94); purchased by NGA.
- Building a Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1997-1998, no. 7.
- Copper as Canvas: Two Centuries of Masterpiece Paintings on Copper, 1525-1775, Phoenix Art Museum; Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Royal Cabinet of Paintings Mauritshuis, The Hague, 1998-1999, no. 73, repro.
- Komenecky, Michael, Isabel Horovitz, and Nicholas Eastaugh. "Antwerp Artists and the Practice of Painting on Copper." Painting Techniques, History, Materials and Studio Practice. Contributions to the Dublin Congress (7-11 Sept. 1998): 137-138.
- Art for the Nation: Collecting for a New Century, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2000-2001, unnumbered catalogue.
- Strokes of Genius: Rembrandt's Prints and Drawings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Divine Encounter: Rembrandt's Abraham and the Angels, The Frick Collection, New York, 2017.
- Hind, Arthur M. A Catalogue of Rembrandt's Etchings. London: Methuen and Co. Ltd., 1923.
- White, Christopher and Karel G. Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings. 2 vols. Amsterdam: Van Gendt & Co., 1969.
- McLellan, Diana. "Really Big Shows." Washingtonian 33, no. 11 (August 1998): 70.
- Wheelock, Arthur K., Jr. Flemish Paintings of the Seventeenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2005: 117-119, color repro.