lower left in black chalk: au capitole; lower left: paraphes of E.D. and J.D.
Estate of the artist (sale, Paris, 17 April 1826, under no. 66; withdrawn); Mme. David (sale, Paris, 11 March 1835, under no. 16); purchased by one of David's pupils, Mlle. X (name obliterated); by descent in her family; (Bruno de Bayser, Paris); purchased 1998 by NGA.