Marks and Labels
verso: stamped by French Customs
Probably Baron Dominique-Vivant Denon, Paris, by 1795, one of 19 Don Quixote illustrations by Fragonard owned by him (sale, Paris, 1826, no. 728 [the group]); to Delaunay. Lt. Col. E. W. Blunt Mackenzie, Castle Leod, Strathpeffer, Scotland (sale, Sotheby's, London, 26 July 1933, no. 98); Hon. Irwin Boyle Laughlin, Washington, D.C. (not in Lugt), 1933; his wife, Therese Iselin Laughlin, Washington, D.C., 1941; their daughter, Gertrude Laughlin Chanler, New York, 1958; gift to NGA, 2000.
- Eighteenth Century Drawings from the Collection of Mrs. Gertrude Laughlin Chanler, NGA, Washington, D.C., 1982, no. 8.
- Drawings and Prints from the Permanent Collection (Summer 2000), National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2000 (no catalogue).
- Portalis, Baron Roger. Fragonard, Sa vie et son oeuvre. 2 vols. Paris, 1889, 2: 215, 299.
- Ananoff, Alexandre. "Alexandre-Evariste Fragonard et son père." Bulletin de la Société de l'Histoire de l'Art Français (1961): 155-157 (the series as by A. E. Fragonard).
- Ananoff, Alexandre. L'oeuvre dessiné de Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1732 - 1806). 4 vols. Paris, 1961-1970: 4:no. 2667 (the series as by A. E. Fragonard).
- Rosenberg, Pierre. Fragonard. Exh. cat. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1987: 499-500 (the series).
- Sort by:
- Results layout: