P.M. Turner [probably Percy Moore Turner], London; (sale, Christie's, London, 11 April 1924, no. 89, as by Jan van Hemessen, bought in by Lacey). W. Lever, Esq. (Spink & Son Ltd., London); (Ehrich Galleries, New York, by 1925); (their sale, American Art Association, Anderson Galleries Inc., New York, 18-19 April 1934, 1st day, no. 54, as by Jan van Hemessen); Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
The panel consists of three boards with vertical grain. A wedge-shaped piece of wood in the upper right-hand corner appears to be an old restoration. The painting is in relatively good condition. There is moderate abrasion in the most thinly painted areas. Heavy abrasion in the beard of the paralytic has been repainted. There is darkened repaint in the wedge at the upper right and along the two vertical join lines. An A-shaped scratch at the lower left was inpainted in 1967.
- Wescher, Paul. "Einige neue Bilder zum Werk Jan van Hemessens." Belvedere 8 (1929): 40-41, repro.
- Tietze, Hans. Meisterwerke europäischer Malerei in Amerika. Vienna, 1935: repro. 150 (also Engl. ed. New York, 1939).
- Mechlin, Leila. "National Gallery Gets New Gifts from Chester Dale." Washington Sunday Star (11 July 1943): repro.
- Washington Times-Herald 18 July 1943:C-10
- Puyvelde, Leo van. La peinture flamande au siècle de Bosch et Breughel. Paris, 1962: 190.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 12, repro., as "Arise, and Take up thy Bed, and Walk" by Jan van Hemessen.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 66, as Jan van Hemessen, "Arise, and Take Up Thy Bed, and Walk".
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 59, repro., as Jan van Hemessen, "Arise, and Take Up Thy Bed, and Walk".
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 172, repro., as Jan van Hemessen, "Arise, and Take Up Thy Bed, and Walk".
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 168, no. 188, color repro., as "Arise and take up thy bedand walk" by Jan van Hemessen.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 30, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver and Martha Wolff. Early Netherlandish Painting. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, 1986: 209-212, repro. 211.
- Southgate, M. Therese. The Art of JAMA: One Hundred Covers and Essays from The Journal of the American Medical Association. St. Louis, 1997: 52-53, color repro.