Mrs. Louis Stern, Paris. (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, after purchase 16 April 1917 by funds of Joseph E. Widener; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Master Bronzes Selected from Museums and Collections in America, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Albright Art Gallery, 1937, no. 139, repro., as Hercules Strangling Antaeus by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- Antiquity in the Renaissance, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1978, no. 94.
- Natur und Antike in der Renaissance, Städtische Galerie Liebieghaus, Frankfurt am Main, Federal Republic of Germany, 1985-1986, no. 99.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 8, as Hercules Strangling Antaeus by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: fig. 205, as Hercules Strangling Antaeus, by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 146, repro., as by Francesco da Sant' Agata.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 181, note 43, repro. 133-135, as by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 156, as by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 138, repro., as by Francesco da Sant'Agata.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 67.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 632, no. 986, repro., as by Francesco da Sant'Agata (?).
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 168, repro.
- Darr, Alan, Peter Barnet, and Antonia Boström. Catalogue of Italian Sculptures in the Detroit Institute of Arts. 2 vols. London, 2002: 1:248.