lower right on board: A.B.Durand 1844
Commissioned 1844 by Henry S. Mulligan; possibly sold to James Brown [1791-1877], New York. Private collection; (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, Inc., New York); sold 19 May 2003 to NGA.
- Exhibition of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, National Academy of Design), New York, 1844, no. 42.
- Kindred Spirits: Asher B. Durand and the American Landscape, Brooklyn Museum; Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.; San Diego Museum of Art, 2007-2008, pl. 43.
- Lewis, E. Anna. "Art and Artists of America. Asher Brown Durand." Graham's American Monthly Magazine of Literature and Art XLV, no. 4 (October 1854): 321.
- Durand, John. The Life and Times of A.B. Durand. New York, 1894: 135 (possibly the same painting).
- Lawall, David B. Asher B. Durand: A Documentary Catalogue of the Narrative and Landscape Paintings. New York and London, 1978: 44, no. 90.
- Kelly, Franklin. Frederic Edwin Church and the National Landscape. Washington, D.C. and London, 1988: 63-64.