upper right reverse, Japanese characters above the artist's name: NO. 1 / ON KAWARA 1965
The artist, New York; purchased 17 April 2006 through (David Zwirner, New York) by NGA.
- Possibly Exhibition of Japanese Artists Abroad, Europe and America, The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, 1965, unnumbered catalogue (according to dealer's invoice; painting is included in catalogue checklist, but another work is reproduced).
- Reconsidering the Object of Art: 1965-1975, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 1995-1996, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- On Kawara: Whole and Parts 1964-1995, Nouveau Musée/Inst. d'Art Contemporain, Villeurbanne; Castello di Rivoli; Museo d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona; Mus. d'art moderne Villeneuve d'Ascq; Mus. of Contemporary Art, Tokyo, 1996-1998, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- On Kawara - Paintings of 40 Years, David Zwirner, New York, 2004, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- On Kawara - Silence, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, 2015.
- Watkins, Jonathan. On Kawara. New York, 2002: 63-65, 67, repro.
- Weiss, Jeffrey. "On Kawara, Title." Bulletin / National Gallery of Art, no. 35 (Fall 2006): 26-27, repro.