The sitter, Grace Allison McCurdy [1775-1822, Mrs. Hugh McCurdy, later Mrs. Edward N. Clopper]; by inheritance to her daughter, the sitter Letitia Grace McCurdy Douglass [1797-1875, Mrs. Richard Henry Douglass], Baltimore; by inheritance to her daughter, Grace Douglass; by descent to her daughter, Mrs. Joseph Earl Moore, Baltimore; by inheritance by 1958 to her son, Allen F. Voshell, Jr., Baltimore; (sale, Phillips, New York, 17 May 1982, no. 394); (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York); purchased 1983 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Two Hundred and Fifty Years of Painting in Maryland, Baltimore Museum of Art, 11 May - 17 June 1945, no. 67, repro.
- An Exhibition of Portraits by Joshua Johnston, Peale Museum, Baltimore, 11 January - 8 February 1948, no. 13, repro.
- J. Hall Pleasants, a Memorial Exhibition, Baltimore Museum of Art, 2 December 1958 - 18 January 1959, unnumbered checklist.
- Selections of Nineteenth-Century Afro-American Art,The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 19 June - 1 August 1976, unnumbered checklist.
- Loan to display wtih permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1 November 1986 - 30 April 1987, no catalogue.
- Joshua Johnson: Freeman and Early American Portrait Painter, Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore; Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Whitney Museum of American Art at Champion, Stamford, Connecticut, 25 September 1987 - 25 August 1988, no. 41.
- The Century Club Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 July - 13 September 1993, unpublished checklist.
- Celebrating the Legacy: African American Art from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 30 July - 22 September 1999, no catalogue.
- Celebrating the Legacy III: African American Art from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 10 January - 25 February 2002, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no. 7.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June - 18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah. "Joshua Johnson, Grace Allison McCurdy (Mrs. Hugh McCurdy) and her Daughters, Mary Jane and Letitia Grace." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 37, 62-63, 256, repro.