center left base on plate: © copyright Claes Oldenburg 1971; lower right base on plate: CLAES OLDENBURG / GEOMETRIC MOUSE / Scale D (Paper), "Home-made" / The Geometric Mouse exists in several scales. The diameter / of the "ear" in the largest Geometric Mouse is 9 feet. / In this miniature version - the smallest - the "ear" diameter / is 6 inches. / The white, paper Geometric Mouse is called "home-made" / because it is a reproduction (2/3 smaller) of the / prototype made in preparation for the fabricated, black, / metal Geometric Mouse, Scale C - "ear" diameter / 9 inches. The suggested position for the Geometric Mouse / is shown at left. / Match the contact points indicated on the base. Several / other positions are possible, but too much movement of the / parts maybe cause the connections to deform or break / C.O. New York, 1971 / The paper Geometric Mouse is die-cut and equipped with stainless steel wire hinges and bead chains. It is / imprinted with reproductions of the artist's notations / and signature. A base designed by the artists is / included. The paper Geometric Mouse is published in / an unlimited edition. / Produced by Gemini G.E.L. [Gemini symbol] / 8365 Melrose Avenue Los Angeles, California 90069; center left verso base in black ink by unknown hand: Oldenburg / "Mouse" / paper - home made multiple; lower right verso body on plate: C.O. '71 / © copyright Claes Oldenburg 1971. Produced by Gemini G.E.L. [Gemini monogram]
Olga Hirshhorn, Washington, DC; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2004; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art
- Olga Hirshhorn Collects: Views from the "Mouse House", Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1995
- Olga Hirshhorn Collects: Selections from the Permanent Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2007
- Sculpture from the Mouse House: The Olga Hirshhorn Collection at the Corcoran, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2008-2009
- Gemini G.E.L. Sequence List. Los Angeles, California: Gemini G.E.L., unpublished, no. 295.
- Axsom, Richard H., and David Platzker. Printed Stuff: Prints, Posters, and Ephemera by Claes Oldenburg: A Catalogue Raisonné, 1958-1996. New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1997, pp. 160-161, no. 73.
- Ritchie, Charles. Gemini G.E.L. Online Catalogue Raisonné. Washington, D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2011, no. 38.26. http://www.nga.gov/gemini