on top of the base, back left: G. LACHAISE / 1918; on vertical side of the base, behind the horse: ROMAN BRONZE WORKS NY
Marks and Labels
FM: Roman Bronze Works
(Weyhe Gallery, New York); purchased 1933 by Francis Biddle [1886-1968], Washington; gift 1959 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The New Tradition: Modern Americans before 1940, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 27 April - 2 June 1963, no. 58, repro.
- The American Genius, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1976, catalogue with no checklist.
- Vanguard American Sculpture, 1913-1939, Rutgers University Art Gallery, New Brunswick, New Jersey; William Hayes Ackland Art Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Oakland Museum, 16 September 1979 - 25 May 1980, no. 62, fig. 46.
- Center Ring, The Artist: Two Centuries of Circus Art, Milwaukee Art Museum; Columbus Art Museum, Ohio; New York State Museum, Albany; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 7 May 1981 - 6 June 1982, no. 57, repro.
- Modernist Idylls: Nature and the Avant-Garde, 1905-1930, Allentown Art Museum, Pennsylvania, 8 March - 3 May 1987, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Nordland, Gerald. Gaston Lachaise: The Man and his Work. New York, 1974: 127-128.