on top of base: A. Phimister Proctor / 1891-1892 / copyright; on base: JNO Williams Inc. / Bronze Foundry N.Y.
Marks and Labels
FM: Jno Williams Inc.
(Newman Emerson Montross, New York); purchased 19 December 1913 by James Parmelee [1855-1931], Cleveland and Washington; his estate; bequest 1941 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The Century Club, New York, 1891.
- The Quest for Unity: American Art Between Worlds Fairs 1876-1893, Detroit Institute of Arts, 22 August - 30 October 1983, no. 165, repro.
- American Bronzes from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 29 April 2009 - 2013, no catalogue.
- The American West in Bronze, 1850-1925, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Denver Art Museum; Nanjing Museum, China, 18 December 2013 - 18 January 2015, no. 37, fig. 83.
- Broder, Patricia Janis. Bronzes of the American West. New York, 1971: 111, fig. 102.
- Hassrick, Peter H. Wildlife and Western Heroes: Alexander Phimister Proctor, Sculptor. Fort Worth, 2003: 102, pl. 5, 245.