Possibly (the artist's estate sale, Henry J. and George Henry Robins, London, 20-22 June 1829, 1st day, no. 132, as Telemachus in the Island of Calypso, unfinished). possibly Henry Corbould [1787-1844], in 1832. (Mortimer Brandt [1905-1993], New York); acquired by Mrs. E. Lovette West [1885-1962, Bess Palmer West], Bronxville, New York; her daughter, Mrs. Robert A. Beyers [1906-1987, Bernice West Beyers], Chittenden, Vermont, and Dallas; gift 1963 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Possibly [exhibition], Suffolk Street, London, 1832, no. 266, as Mentor and Telemachus.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1962-1963.
- Seascape and the American Imagination, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 9 June - 7 September 1975, unnumbered catalogue, pl. II.
- The American Landscape Tradition, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 31 January - 31 August 1978, unpublished checklist.
- Benjamin West and his American Students, National Portrait Gallery, Washingon; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 19 October 1980 - 19 April 1981, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 111.
- Americans and the Sea, Pensacola Museum of Art, 11 September - 31 October 1982, no. 37, repro.
- American Masterpieces from American Museums, Mint Museum, Charlotte, 1985-1986.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 23, repro.
- Landgren, Marchal E. "American paintings at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C." The Magazine Antiques(November 1975): fig. 6.
- Sellin, David. American Art in the Making: Preparatory Studies for Masterpieces of American Painting, 1800-1900. Washington, D.C., 1976: fig. 2.
- Evans, Dorina. Benjamin West and His American Students. Washington, D.C., 1980: 93, 148, 153, fig. 111.
- Von Erffa, Helmut, and Allen Staley. The Paintings of Benjamin West. New Haven and London, 1986: no. 183.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 324, repro.