Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Inscription

in small cartouches on rim: 1524; lower left: DIOGENES / ALESAN / DER; center upper left, unidentified coat of arms: or, a fess between three stars gules, impaling or a horse's head couped proper [?]; center verso: 1524

Provenance

William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.

Exhibition History
1978
The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 26 April - 16 July 1978, unnumbered catalogue.
1986
Italian Renaissance Maiolica from the William A. Clark Collection, Mount Holyoke College Art Museum, South Hadley; The Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; The Elvehjem Museum of Art, University of Wisconsin, Madison; Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Saint Louis Art Museum; Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, Toronto; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Dayton Art Institute; University Art Museum, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986-1989, no. 10, repro.
2005
Maiolica: Italian Renaissance Ceramics from the Corcoran Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2 February - 11 July 2005.
2007
Masterpieces: European Art from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 7 February - 12 August 2007, no catalogue.
2007
Treasures of European Decorative Art and Sculpture, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 August 2007 - 29 March 2009, no catalogue.
Bibliography
1897
Bode, Wilhelm von, ed. Die Sammlung Oscar Hainauer / The Collection of Oscar Hainauer. [bound as one volume, English and German pages interleaved in one page sequence] Berlin, 1897 and London, 1906: 32, 34, 35 repro., 108, no. 287 (Maiolica 7).
1955
Breckenridge, James D. "Italian Maiolica in the W.A. Clark Collection." The Corcoran Gallery of Art Bulletin 7, no. 3 (April 1955): no. 19.
1955
Von Erdberg, Joan Prentice. "Italian Maiolica at the Corcoran Gallery of Art." The Burlington Magazine 97, no. 624 (March 1955): 70-75.
Related Content