lower right, last number illegible: Claude Monet / 188[?]
Purchased November 1880 from the artist by Cahuzac. Dr. Filleau, Paris; purchased September 1883 by (Durand-Ruel, Paris and New York); sold July 1891 to Potter [1826-1902] and Bertha [1849-1918] Palmer, Chicago. (Durand-Ruel, Paris and New York), in 1892. William H. Fuller [d. 1902], New York, in 1893. (Durand-Ruel, Paris and New York), in 1897. Edward C. [d. 1915] and Mary Griffin [1855-1937] Walker, Willistead Manor, Walkerville, Ontario, and Washington, by 1907; bequest 4 May 1937 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- 7me Exposition des Artistes Independants [Seventh Impressionist Exhibition], Paris, 1882, no. 611 or 612.
- Loan Exhibition of Pictures Owned in Detroit, Detroit Museum of Art, 13-27 February 1913, no. 26.
- Exhibition of Paintings by French Impressionists, Detroit Museum of Art, November 1915, no. 32.
- Claude Monet, Minneapolis Institute of Art, 1957, no. 4, as Poplars.
- Monet, City Art Museum of St. Louis, Missouri, 1957, no. 4, as Poplars.
- A Selection of Paintings from the Edward C. Walker and Mary Walker Collection, Willistead Art Gallery, Windsor, Ontario, 8-29 October 1958, no. 12, as Willows by the River's Edge.
- Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Claude Monet, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, 3 January-2 February 1958, no. 14, as The Poplars.
- French Masterworks: A Loan Exhibition from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe, 1 July-13 August 1959, no. 18.
- Loan Exhibition. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art: A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein, New York, 28 January-7 March 1959, unnumbered cat., repro., as Willows of Vétheuil.
- Claude Monet: 40th Anniversary Exhibition, 1931-1971, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, Maryland, September 1971, no. 1
- Conservation in the Museum, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 September-22 October 1972, unpublished checklist, as Willows of Vetheuil.
- La Vie Moderne: Nineteenth Century French Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Columbus Museum of Arts and Sciences, Georgia; Mary and Leigh Block Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Tampa Museum; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha; Akron Art Museum, 1983-1985, no. 30, as Willows at Vétheuil.
- Sargent's Contemporaries, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 4 June - 28 August 1983, unpublished checklist, no. 17.
- Claude Monet, Museo Municipal de Arte Contemporáneo, Madrid, May-June 1986.
- A Passion for Nature: Landscape Painting from 19th Century France, Art Gallery of Alberta, Edmonton, 15 October 2011 - 20 February 2012, no catalogue, as Willows at Vetheuil.
- Monet and the Seine: Impressions of a River, Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2014.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Masterpieces of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Washington, 1959: 34.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Claude Monet: biographie et catalogue raisonné. 5 vols. Paris, 1974-1991: 1(1974):376-377, pl. 611; 5(1991):35.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Monet: Catalogue raisonné - Werkverzeichnis. 4 vols. Cologne and Paris, 1996: 2:no. 611, repro.