lower right: GARI J. MELCHERS. / PARIS. 1882
Edward C. [d. 1915] and Mary Emma Griffin [1855-1937] Walker, Willistead Manor, Walkerville, Ontario, and Washington, by 1905; bequest 4 May 1937 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2016 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Salon de la Société des Artistes Français, Paris, 1882, no. 1830.
- Salon Triennal d'Anvers, Antwerp, 13 August - early October 1882.
- 58th Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, 2 April - 12 May 1882.
- Detroit Art Loan Exhibition, September 1883.
- Exhibition of Paintings, Lent from the Private Collection of E. Chandler Walker, Esq., Detroit Museum of Art, April 1905, no. 9.
- Paintings by Gari Melchers, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2 February - 3 March 1918, no. 2.
- Paintings by Gari Melcher, Art Institute of Chicago, 4 April - 1 May 1919.
- Paintings by Gari Melchers, Baltimore Museum of Art, 10 April - 5 May 1923, no. 7.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Gari Melchers, Dayton Art Institute, 15 April - 15 May 1930.
- Paintings by Gari Melchers, N. A., Thomas J. Mitchell, and Thirty Cleveland Artists, Memorial Art Gallery of Rochester, University of Rochester, March-April 1930, no. 15, repro.
- Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings Representative of the Life Work of Gari Melchers, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, 2 February - 2 March 1930, no. 31, repro.
- Memorial Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings and Etchings by Gari Melchers, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 October - 3 December 1933, no. 27.
- Gari Melchers: A Memorial Exhibition of his Work, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 17 January - 28 February 1938, no. 50, repro.
- American Expatriate Painters of the Late-Nineteenth Century, Dayton Art Institute; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 4 December 1976 - 29 May 1977.
- The Hague School and Its American Legacy, Federal Reserve Board, Washington; Norton Gallery and School of Art, West Palm Beach, Florida, 19 April - August 1982.
- Gari Melchers: A Retrospective Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida; Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, Inc., Savannah; National Academy of Design, New York; Detroit Institute of Arts; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 11 March 1990 - 2 June 1991, no. 6, pl. 1 (shown only in Richmond).
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 2: Painters born from 1850 to 1910. Washington, 1973: 41.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 308, repro.