lower left: To my friend Annie T. Lang / Wm M. Chase. / 1915.
Possibly the artist's student, Annie Traquair Lang [1885-1918]. (William Macbeth, Inc., New York); purchased November 1923 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Possibly [Paintings by William Merritt Chase owned by Annie Traquair Lang], M. Knoedler and Co., New York, 1917.
- Biennial International Exposition of Art, Venice, 1934.
- National Academy of Design Special Exhibition, American Fine Arts Society Galleries, New York, May-June 1939.
- William M. Chase, 1849-1916, A Selected Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings, American British Art Center, New York, 9 November - 4 December 1948, no. 10.
- William Merritt Chase, 1849-1916, A Retrospective Exhibition, Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, Long Island, 30 June - 27 July 1957, repro.
- [Chase retrospective], Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, Long Island, 29 June - 27 July 1959.
- Directions in Twentieth Century American Paintings, Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, 7 October - 12 November 1961.
- From the Archives of American Art: The Role of the Macbeth Gallery, AFA Gallery, New York; Tampa Art Institute; Oklahoma Art Center, Oklahoma City; Flint Institute of Arts; Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina; Portland Museum of Art, Maine; Albany Institute of History and Art, 8 October 1962 - 31 May 1963, no. 4.
- William Merritt Chase, M. Knoedler and Co., New York, 4 May - 5 June 1976.
- Sargent's Contemporaries, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 4 June - 28 August 1983, unpublished checklist, no. 6.
- Henri's Circle, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 April - 16 June 1985, unnumbered checklist.
Exhibition History Notes
 According to "Early Pictures by Chase," American Art News, vol. 15, no. 28 (21 April 1917): 5, a display of early paintings by Chase owned by Annie Traquair Lang, and including "his well known self-portrait," was on display at Knoedler's. This information was kindly brought to the Gallery's attention by Eve Kahn, e-mail of 6 June 2017, in NGA curatorial files.
- Peat, Wilbur D. "Checklist of Known Work by William M. Chase." In Chase Centennial Exhibition. Exh. cat. John Herron Art Institute, 1949: unpaginated.
- Pisano, Ronald G. The Complete Catalogue of Known and Documented Work by William Merritt Chase (1849-1916). 4 vols. New Haven and London, 2006-2010: 2(2006):266, no. OP.566, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 292, repro.