lower left: Thos Birch / 1831
Private collection, Pennsylvania; owned jointly by (James Graham & Sons, New York) and (Victor D. Spark, New York), by 1953; purchased 1955 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2015 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Twentieth Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 2 May - 25 June 1831, no. 40.
- Progress of an American Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 25 October - 29 December 1963, unpublished checklist.
- Past and Present: 250 Years of American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 15 April - 15 September 1966, unpublished checklist.
- Loan for display by the Special Fine Arts Committee, U.S. Department of State, Washington, 3 April 1970 - May 1974.
- Corcoran [The American Genius], Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 24 January - 4 April 1976, catalogue with no checklist.
- Loan for display at Blair House, Washington, 10 June 1988 - 21 August 1997.
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004 - 23 May 2005, unpublished checklist.
- Encouraging American Genius: Master Paintings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, NY; Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte; John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, 2005-2007, checklist no.14.
- The American Evolution: A History through Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1 March - 27 July 2008, unpublished checklist.
- American Paintings from the Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 6 June - 18 October 2009, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013 - 28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
Exhibition History Notes
 The exhibition was erroneously titled the "Twenty-first" in the published catalogue.
- Phillips, Dorothy W. A Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings in The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Vol. 1: Painters born before 1850. Washington, 1966: 44, repro.
- Cash, Sarah, with Terrie Sultan. American Treasures of the Corcoran Gallery of Art. New York, 2000: 47, repro.
- Carson, Jenny. "Thomas Birch, View of the Delaware near Philadelphia." In Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Edited by Sarah Cash. Washington, 2011: 76-77, 258, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: