lower edge, right of center: · BRVEGHEL · 1610 ·
Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine [1658–1716], Düsseldorf; by inheritance to his brother, Karl III Philipp, Elector Palatine [1661–1742], Düsseldorf, and from 1730, Mannheim; by inheritance to his nephew, Karl Theodor, Elector Palatine, and from 1777, Elector of Bavaria [1724–1799], Mannheim, and from 1777, Munich; by inheritance to his successor, Maximilian IV Joseph, Elector Palatine and Elector of Bavaria, and from 1806, King of Bavaria, as Maximilian I Joseph [1756-1825], Munich; by descent in the Bavarian Royal Collection, Munich, from 1822, and subsequently the Königliche Pinakothek (Royal Pinakothek, later Alte Pinakothek, Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen), Munich, by 1838; given, with another painting, 10 December 1935 to (Julius Böhler, Munich), in exchange for three Bernhard Strigel paintings; sold 11 January 1936 to (Galerie Stern, Düsseldorf); Max Stern [1904-1987], Düsseldorf; sold before September 1938 to Richard Friede [1883-1944], Bocholt, Germany, and from 1941, New York; by descent to his daughter, Ursula Friede Bamberger [1922-2019]; Ursula and Gerald Bamberger, Silver Spring, Maryland; sold c. 1992 to (Otto Naumann Ltd., New York) in partnership with (Roman Herzig/Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienna); sold c. 1992 to (Bernheimer Fine Old Masters, Munich); sold 1995 to Marietta Vok [d. 2019], near Villach, Austria; gift January 2018 to private collection, Italy; consigned March 2020 to (David Koetser Gallery, Zurich); purchased November 2020 by NGA.
Associated NamesAlte Pinakothek
Bamberger, Ursula and Gerald
Bernheimer Fine Arts Ltd.
Friede, Richard L.
Galerie Sanct Lucas
Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine
Karl III Philipp, Elector Palatine
Karl Theodor, Elector Palatine and Elector of Bavaria
Koetser Gallery, David M.
Maximilian I Joseph, King of Bavaria
Private Collection (NGA Former Owner)
- Inaugural Exhibition of Old Master Paintings, Otto Naumann Limited, New York, 1995, unnumbered catalogue, repro. and detail.
- Gool, Johan van. De Nieuwe Schouburg der Nederlantsche Kunstschilder en Schilderessen. 2 vols. The Hague, 1751: 2:559.
- Ertz, Klaus. Jan Brueghel der Ältere (1568-1625): Die Gemälde mit kritischem Oeuvrekatalog. Cologne, 1979: no. 222.
- Ertz, Klaus, and Christa Nitze-Ertz. Jan Brueghel der Ältere (1568-1625): Kritischer Katalog der Gemälde. 4 vols. Lingen, 2008-2010: 1(2008):158, no. 53, repro.
- Baumstark, Reinhold, et al. Kurfürst Johann Wilhelms Bilder. 3 vols. Exh. cat. Alten Pinakothek, Munich, 2009: 2:185, no. 56, repro.