center right on border of Madonna's bodice: MDVIII.R.V.PIN (1508 Raphael of Urbino painted it)
Niccolini family, Casa Niccolini, Florence, by 1677; sold after 1772 to Johann Joseph Zoffany [d. 1810]; sold c. 1775 to George Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper [d. 1789], Panshanger, Hertford, England; by inheritance to George Augustus Clavering-Cowper, 4th Earl Cowper [d. 1799], Panshanger; by inheritance to Peter Leopold Louis Francis Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 5th Earl Cowper [d. 1837], Panshanger; by inheritance to George Augustus Frederick Cowper, 6th Earl Cowper [d. 1856], Panshanger; by inheritance to Francis Thomas De Grey Cowper, 7th Earl Cowper and 7th Baron Lucas [d. 1905], Panshanger and Wrest Park, Bedford, England; by inheritance to his widow, Katrine Cecilia Compton Cowper, Countess Cowper [d. 1913], Panshanger; by inheritance to Lady Ethel Desborough, granddaughter of the 6th Earl, Panshanger; sold 1928 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold November 1928 to Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 30 December 1930 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
Associated NamesClavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper, George Nassau
Clavering-Cowper, 4th Earl Cowper, George Augustus
Clavering-Cowper, 5th Earl Cowper, Peter Leopold Louis Francis Nassau
Cowper, 6th Earl Cowper, George Augustus Frederick
Cowper, Countess Cowper, Katrine Cecilia Comptom
Cowper, Francis Thomas de Grey, 7th earl Cowper and 7th baron Lucas
Desborough, Ethel, Lady
Duveen Brothers, Inc.
Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, The A.W.
Mellon, Andrew W.
- Possibly Pictures of the Italian and Spanish Schools, British Institution, London, 1816, no. 32, as The Virgin and Infant Savior.
- Possibly British Institution, London, 1841, no. 28, as Virgin and Child.
- Art Treasures of the United Kingdom: Paintings by Ancient Masters, Art Treasures Palace, Manchester, 1857, no. 141.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1881, no. 152.
- National Loan Exhibition in Aid of National Gallery Funds, Grafton Galleries, London, 1909-1910, no. 66, repro.
- Second National Loan Exhibition. Woman and Child in Art, Grafton Galleries, London, 1913-1914, no. 35, repro.
- Raphael and America, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1983, no. 81, repro.
- Kunstauktion 2 supplement (8 July 1928): repro.
- Valentiner, Wilhelm R., ed. Unknown Masterpieces in Public and Private Collections. London, 1930: n.p., pl. 20.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America. New York, 1941: no. 135, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 162-163, no. 25.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 173.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 28, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 56-58, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Great Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1952: 38, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 306, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 107.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:128, color repro.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 95, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 280, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:389-391; 2:pl. 278.
- Alsop, Joseph. The Rare Art Traditions: The History of Art Collecting and Its Linked Phenomena Wherever These Have Appeared. Bollingen series 35, no. 27. New York, 1982: 452.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 176, no. 198, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 325, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 100, 269, color repro.
- Beck, James H. Raphael. New York, 1994: 22, repro.
- Meyer zur Capellen, Jürg. Raphael in Florence. London, 1996: 174, no. 175, repro.
- Caglioti, Francesco. Donatello e i Medici: storia del David e della Giuditta__. 2 vols. Florence, 2000: 1:338.
- Pergam, Elizabeth A. The Manchester Art Treasures Exhibition of 1857: Entrepreneurs, Connoisseurs and the Public. Farnham and Burlington, 2011: 125-126, fig. 4.6, 155, fig. 4.10, 215-216, 226, 233 n. 109, 313.
- Walmsley, Elizabeth. "Italian Renaissance Paintings Restored in Paris by Duveen Brothers, Inc., c. 1927-1929." Facture: conservation, science, art history 1 (2013): 58-77, 59 unnumbered fig., figs. 17-18.
- Jaques, Susan. The Empress of Art: Catherine the Great and the Transformation of Russia. New York, 2016: 398.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: