incised probably in the foundry model and heightened after casting, at lower right corner: h. Daumier; cold-stamped at lower right, the Siot-Decauville cachet: SIOT-DECAUVILLE/FONDEUR/PARIS; at left, cold-stamped and encircled, by direct incision: 2
Marks and Labels
Sold 1893 to Paul Bureau [1874-1915], Paris; (his estate sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 20 May 1927, no. 124); purchased at that sale by "Uhde" [possibly Wilhelm Uhde, d. 1947]. (Galerie Thannhauser, Lucerne); Paul and Mildred H. Lamb, Cleveland Heights and later Shaker Heights, Ohio, by 1933; (her sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, Inc., New York, 11-12 December 1941, no. 52); purchased by (Jean Goriany, New York) for Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1933.
- Modern Sculpture, The Arts Club of Chicago, 1933, no. 10.
- A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, 1934, no. 183.
- The Twentieth Anniversary Exhibition of the Cleveland Museum of Art. The Official Art Exhibition of the Great Lakes Exposition, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1936, no. 264.
- Honoré Daumier, Anniversary Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1958, no. 23, repro.
- Honoré Daumier: Exhibition of Prints, Drawings, Watercolors, Paintings, and Sculpture, Los Angeles County Museum, 1958, no. 240, repro.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- Daumier. An Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture, Prints, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1961, no. 24.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 39b, repro., as Les Emigrants.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 65.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 152.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 133, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 58, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 198-203, color repro.