Charles Henry Hart [1847-1918], New York, by 1915; consigned in 1915 to (Frank W. Bayley, Boston) as by Washington Allston; sold to Thomas Benedict Clarke [1848-1931], New York; (his sale, American Art Association, New York, 7 January 1919, no. 27); Arthur Meeker [1866-1946], Chicago; bought back by Clarke through (M. Knoedler & Co., London, New York, and Paris) in 1924; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of the Earliest Known Portraits of Americans by Painters of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, The Union League Club, New York, 1924, no. 10, as Gilbert Stuart's Family... by Washington Alston.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated cat., as Gilbert Stuart's Family... by Washington Allston.
- John Trumbull and his Contemporaries, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, Connecticut, 1944, no. 41, as Gilbert Stuart's Family, Attributed to Washington Allston.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 170, repro., as by European of Unknown Nationality.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 306.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 415, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 364-367, repro.