lower left (original signature reinforced by later hand): R. Earle Pinxt 1800
From the sitter to his daughter, Electa Earle Nye [Mrs. Luther Nye, 1778-1847], New Braintree, Massachusetts; her daughter, Melinda Earle Nye Chandler [Mrs. Marcus Chandler, d. 1887], Springfield, Massachusetts; her daughter, Harriet M. Chandler Schoepf, Springfield, Massachusetts; purchased by (Edward Francis Coffin, Worcester, Massachusetts); sold 1916 to the Worcester Art Museum; by exchange 1921 to (Ehrich Galleries, New York); repurchased by (Edward Francis Coffin); sold 16 March 1923 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A. W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Portrait Painters, The Union League Club, New York, February 1924, no. 12.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue, as Thomas Earl.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1972-1974.
- Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1991-1992, 232, no. 65.
- Earle, Pliny. The Earle Family: Ralph Earle and His Descendants. Worcester, Massachusetts, 1888: 57-58, repro. 56.
- "Landscape and Portrait by Ralph Earl." Bulletin of the Worcester Art Museum 7, no. 4 (January 1917): 7, 10, repro. 9.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- "The Thomas Clarke American Portrait Collection Is Sold." Art News (February 1936): repro. 6.
- Historical Records Survey, American Portraits 1620-1825 Found in Massachusetts, 2 vols. Boston, 1939: 1:132.
- Sherman, Frederic Fairchild. "The Painting of Ralph Earl With a List of His Portraits." Art in America 27, no. 4 (October 1939): 163, 174; no. 1, 165, repro.
- Goodrich, Laurence B. Ralph Earl, Recorder for an Era. Albany, 1967: 42, fig. 16.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 54, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 151, repro.
- Kornhauser, Elizabeth Mankin. Ralph Earl: Artist-Entrepreneur. Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1988: 235-236, 243, n. 33, 286.
- Kornhauser, Elizabeth Mankin. Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth. New Haven, London, and Hartford, 1991-1992: 232, no. 65.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 169, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 99-101, repro. 100.