by Alfred Stieglitz, on backing board, center, on Alfred Stieglitz label, in black ink: Alfred Stieglitz The Hand of Man / Original Gravure / Original negative 4 x 5. Made from back of a train-- / Long Island City 1902. The version printed / in 1910 straight from new positive / shown first Albright Show & then at / Stieglitz "291" show, March, 1913; upper right, typed on Museum of Modern Art sticker: 40.5022 / Stieglitz; upper right, typed on Philadelphia Museum of Art label: Alfred Stieglitz / The Hand of Man, 1902. Framed gravure / Alfred Stieglitz / 509 Madison Ave., N.Y.C.
all by later hands: upper right, in red pencil: 7-1944-145; all in graphite: upper center: 25 3/4; upper left: M; center left: 16
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- International Exhibition of Pictorial Photography, Albright Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York, 1910.
- Stieglitz Exhibition, Photo-Secession Galleries, New York, 1913, no. 12.
- History of an American: "291" and After, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1944, no. 17.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, February 3–May 8, 1983, no. 33; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Stieglitz in the Darkroom, National Gallery of Art, Washington, October 4, 1992 – February 14, 1993, no. 31.
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2002-2003, as The Hand of Man.
- Camera Work 1 (January 1903): p. 47.
- Camera Work 36 (October 1911): pl. XIII.
- Frank, Waldo, et al. America and Alfred Stieglitz. New York, 1934: pl. XXV.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 33, pl. 15.