Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
For more information about this photograph, see Key Set number
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, Ph-134
Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1949-18-69
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The Bluff Collection
The J. Paul Getty Museum, 87.XM.62
The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1806.1968 (inscribed: New York Lights, Alfred Stieglitz)
Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1997-146-24 (inscribed: Evening, New York from The Shelton / 1931 / by Alfred Stieglitz)
Princeton University Art Museum, 73.62
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
1932, New York (nos. 1–9, as From my window at The Shelton, north, 1931)
1934, New York (no. 38, as New York Night, 1931)
1941, New York (no. 27, as From the Shelton Hotel, 30th Story: Evening Lights, 1931)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
Waldo Frank et al., America & Alfred Stieglitz (New York, 1934): pl. 32d (ill., Night—New York, 1931)
by later hands, on mount, upper left verso, in graphite, in square: 1; upper center verso, in graphite: [arrow]; upper right verso, in graphite: F [circled] / frame for this given / to D.S.N.; lower left verso, in graphite: 1B; lower right verso, in graphite: 049
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Cramer, Konrad. "Stupendous Stieglitz." PSA Journal 13 (November 1947): 721.
- Engelhard, Georgia. "Alfred Stieglitz: 'Father of Modern Photography.'" The Camera 69 (June 1947): 53.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 114.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 2, cat. 1388.