upper center in pen and brown ink: 1514
Marks and Labels
verso, lower left, stamped in black ink: William Mitchell (Lugt 2638)
William Mitchell [ d. 1908], Australia and London (Lugt 2638); Princes of Liechtenstein, Vienna (Lugt 4398); purchased 20 April 1948 through (Walter Felichenfeldt, Zurich) by Lessing J. Rosenwald, Jenkintown, PA; gift to NGA in 1950.
- Seventy Master Drawings, Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1948-1949, no. 20.
- Rosenwald Collection: An Exhibition of Recent Acquisitions, NGA, 1950, no. 51, repro.
- Landscape Drawings & Water-colors: Bruegel to Cézanne, Pierpont Morgan Library, 1953, no. 2.
- Masterpieces of Graphic Art from the Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1953-1954.
- Masterpieces from the Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1954.
- Master Drawings, Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, 1955.
- Masterpieces of Graphic Art. From the Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1956.
- Drawings from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art, NGA, 1966.
- University of Notre Dame Art Gallery, 1968.
- Prints and drawings of the Danube School: an exhibition of South German and Austrian graphic art of 1500 to 1560, Yale University Art Gallery; City Art Museum of St. Louis; Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1969-1970, no.79, repro.
- Master Drawings from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art and Promised Gifts, NGA, 1978, pp. 26-27, repro.
- Early German Drawings & Prints: Two Recent Acquisitions & Related Works, NGA, 1979, no. 9.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald: Tribute to a Collector, NGA, 1982, no. 47, repro.
- Halm 1930, 36.
- Yale UAG 1969, 79.
- Fine, Ruth E. Lessing J. Rosenwald: Tribute to a Collector. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1982, no. 47.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 661, no. 1042, color repro.
- Brisman, Shira. "Nachrichten aus Nürnberg: The Annunciation as an Epistolary Address." Zeitschrift für Kunstgeschichte 79, no. 2 (2016): 208, nt. 13.