stamped in the wax positive at lower right rear, in incised circle: M.L.G [Maurice Le Garrec]; cold-stamped below initials: BRONZE; cold-stamped inside, in incised circle: 23/30
(Henri M. Petiet, Paris), c. June 1950; sold 2 March 1951 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1951 to NGA.
- Bench and Bar and The Realm of the Law, Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery, San Marino, California, 1958, no. 12.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 25b, repro.
- Nineteenth-Century Sculpture, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1974, unnumbered checklist.
- The Romantics to Rodin: French Nineteenth-Century Sculpture from North American Collections, Los Angeles County Mus. of Art; Minneapolis Inst. of Arts; Detroit Inst. of Arts; Indianapolis Mus. of Art; Mus. of Fine Arts, Boston, 1980-1981, no. 86.
- Daumier: 1808-1879, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no. 34b, repro., as Pataille (shown only in Washington).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 33.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 150, as one of The Deputies, complete set of 36 bronze busts.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 57, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 170, color repro. 172.