on reverse, probably by later hand, three words: [?] Tornabuoni [?]
Possibly Palazzo Tornabuoni, Florence, until c. 1850. William Graham [1817-1885], London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 2-3 and 8-10 April 1886, 3rd day, no. 200, as Portrait of a Lady, bought in by Agnew's for executors of Graham estate); Kenneth Muir-MacKenzie, 1st baron Muir-Mackenzie [1845-1930], London; by inheritance to his daughter, Dorothea Muir-Mackenzie Hambourg [Mrs. Mark Hambourg], London. (Frank T. Sabin, London), in 1937. (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Florence); sold July 1950 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Gems of Painting, Sabin Galleries, London, 1937, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Virtue and Beauty: Leonardo's 'Ginevra de' Benci' and Renaissance Portraits of Women, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2001-2002, fig. 10.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 56, no. 16, repro., as Portrait of a Lady by Florentine School (Possibly Domenico Ghirlandaio).
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 67, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 57.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 125, fig. 334.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 50, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 152, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:203-204, II:pl. 140.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 104, no. 73, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 174, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 303-307, color repro.