across bottom, in later hand: ALTOBELLVS + AVEROLDVS + BRIX-EPVS. (Altobello Averoldus Brixiensis Episcopus, Altobello Averoldo, Bishop of Brescia)
Purchased 24 March 1837 by Generale Conte Teodoro Lechi [1778-1866], Brescia, from a certain Mr. Bonaldi; sold 31 May 1847 to Graf Samuel von Festetits [1806-1859], Vienna; sold 1859 to Heinrich Adamberger, Vienna; (his sale, Posonyi, Vienna, 24-28 April 1871, no. 1); Friedrich Jakob Gsell, Vienna; (his sale, G. Plach, Vienna, 14 March 1872, no. 152); Baron Nathaniel Mayer von Rothschild [1836-1905], Vienna; by inheritance to his nephew, Baron Alphons de Rothschild [1878-1942]; his widow, Baroness Clarice de Rothschild [1894-1967]; (Frederick Mont, New York); sold 2 March 1948 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1952 to NGA.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 84, no. 31, repro., as Altobello Averoldo of Brescia.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 100, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 51.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 44, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 71-72, fig. 169.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 134, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:191-192, II:pl. 133
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 161, repro.
- Mündler, Otto. "The Travel Diaries of Otto Mündler." Ed. Carol Togneri Dowd. Walpole Society 51 (1985): 174, 272.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 284-286, color repro.