lower left: Steamer St Lawrence Built / by Wm Collyer NY.[ ] / Engine Built by The [Morgan Iro]n Works N ; lower right: Joiner Work by Sampson & Perry. [NY?] / Painting by John A. Bowell NY / Painting [an]d Drawing by James Bard, N.Y. / Decr th 18th, 1850; on banner: ST LAWRENCE.; on ship: ST LAWRENCE
Recorded as from Massachusetts. Purchased in 1952 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- American Primitive Painting, traveling exhibition organized by the Smithsonian Inst. for the U.S. Information Service, Washington, 1954-1955, no. 66. First venue: Kunstmuseum, Lucerne, Switzerland.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1961-1964.
- The American Primitive Paintings Exhibit, organized by the Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara, California, at the de Saisset Art Gallery, University of Santa Clara, 1968.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1969-1972.
- Extended loan for use by the U.S. Consulate, Leningrad, U.S.S.R., 1973-1979.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 30 (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exhibition by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 9, color repro. First venue; Museum of American Folk Art, New Y
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 9, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Justice Anthony Scalia, Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1991-1999.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 14, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 23, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 23, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 7-8, repro. 8.