Purchased 1948 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, New York and Cambridge, Maryland; gift 1953 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1954, pl. 51.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955.
- The Worlds of Jacob Eichholtz, Portrait Painter of the Early Republic, shown at one of three simultaneous venues: Lancaster County Historical Society, Pennsylvania, 2003, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
A light brown-beige ground was thinly brushed on a vertically grained yellow poplar panel (0.5 cm thick) with rough cut, rather than smooth finished, edges. A portrait is roughly blocked out on the reverse of the panel. The paint was applied in thin layers extending to all edges but the bottom, where it stops roughly 1 cm short. The highlights of the shirt are done with a slightly more painterly technique. The jacket and details of the hair were painted wet-into-wet, blending slightly with underlying paint that had not completely dried. The gray background has faded slightly where it was not protected by the frame, leaving a lighter oval around the figure. There are a few scattered areas of inpainting. The painting was most recently treated in 1948, when discolored varnish was removed from the front and a wax coating was applied to the reverse of the panel. The varnish has become slightly discolored.
- Milley, John Calvin. "Jacob Eichholtz, 1776-1842." Master's thesis, University of Delaware, 1960: 303.
- Beal, Rebecca J. Jacob Eichholtz, 1776-1842. Philadelphia, 1969: 129, no. 432.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 56, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 153, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 171, repro.
- Kelly, Franklin, with Nicolai Cikovsky, Jr., Deborah Chotner, and John Davis. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1996: 197-199, color repro.