oil on wood
overall: 49.5 x 34.3 cm (19 1/2 x 13 1/2 in.)
framed: 56 x 40.9 x 3.8 cm (22 1/16 x 16 1/8 x 1 1/2 in.)
Artists / Makers
American 19th Century (painter)
This image is in the public domain.
Read our full Open Access policy for images .
on steamboat: NEW / PHILADELPHIA; incised into paint on reverse (no longer visible, photograph in object file [1953.5.22] in NGA curatorial records): 1829
Recorded as from Baltimore. (G.A. Berlinsky, Baltimore); sold 1948 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1953 to NGA.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 148, repro., as Portrait of a Man.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 292, repro., as Portrait of a Man.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 538, no. 810, color repro., as Portrait of a Man.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 417, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 572-574, color repro. 573.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: