on book: C. TELLER
Recorded as from Fishkill, New York. Purchased from a collateral member of the sitter's family by (Thurston Thacher, Hyde Park, New York), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- National Gallery Loan Exhibition, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1967, no. 10.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Columbus Museum of Arts and Crafts, Columbus, Georgia, 1968-1969, no. 20.
- Extended loan for use by The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1971-1992.
- Extended loan for use in Chief Justice Rehnquist's chambers, 1986-1992.
- Holdridge, BarbaraC., and Lawrence B. Holdridge. "Ammi Phillips, 1788-1865." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 30(October 1965): 97-146.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 90, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 209, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 262, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 284, 287, repro. 286.