Recorded as from Connecticut. Purchased in 1950 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1955.
- American Primitive Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 1956, no. 31.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957.
- Exhibition of Early American Art, Academy of the Arts, Talbot County Historical Society, Easton, Maryland, 1962, no. 35.
- Man: Glory, Jest, and Riddle: A Survey of the Human Form through the Ages, M. H. De Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco; San Francisco Museum of Art, 1964-1965, no. 146.
- American Primitive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Holland Union, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1973, exhibition guide (copy not located).
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Politics in Art, Museum of the Borough of Brooklyn, Brooklyn College, 1984, no. 80.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 5, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- A Little Bestiary: Naive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Montclair Art Museum, New Jersey, 1988, no catalogue.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 5, repro.
- Zeichen der Freiheit: Das Bild der Republik in der Kunst des 16. bis 20. Jahrhunderts [Emblems of Liberty: The Image of the Republic in the Art of the 16th to the 20th Century], Bernisches Historisches Museum, Bern, Switzerland, 1991, not in catalogue.
- Jefferson's America & Napoleon's France: An Exhibition for the Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial, New Orleans Museum of Art, 2003, no. 146, repro.
- American Naive Paintings from the Garbisch Collection at the National Gallery of Art, Taubman Museum of Art, Roanoke, Virginia, 2010, no catalogue.
- Jones, Louis C. "Liberty and Considerable License." Antiques 74 (July 1958): 43.
- Fleming, E. McClung. "From Indian Princess to Greek Goddess: The American Image, 1783-1815." Winterthur Portfolio 3 (1967): 62.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 138, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 280, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 409, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 526-528, color repro. 527.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: