Recorded as from Connecticut. Purchased in 1952 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1955.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbish. Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 54.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 1975-1978.
- French, Reginald F., and Agnes M. Dods. "Erastus Salisbury Field, 1805-1900." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 28 (October 1963): 123, nos. 193, 194 (includes their "Checklist of Paintings attributed to E. S. Field").
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 60, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 161, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 179, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 115, repro. 116.