lower left: J. Budington Pinxt. 1800
Recorded as from the Burr family homestead, Greenfield Hill, Connecticut. (Mary Allis, Southport, Connecticut). (Albert Duveen, New York), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1956.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 32.
- Little-Known Connecticut Artists, Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford, 1957-1958, no. 1, cat. by Nina Fletcher Little in Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 22 (October 1957).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 8 (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Swanee Hunt, U.S. Embassy residence, Vienna, Austria, 1993-1997.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 20, repro.
- Schloss, Christine Skeeles. The Beardsley Limner and Some Contemporaries: Postrevolutionary Portraiture in New England, 1775-1805. Exh. cat. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Va., 1972: 15.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 31, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 36, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 35-37, color repro. 36.