Recorded as from Clermont, New York. Probably John Sanders [1714-1782] of Scotia, New York; by descent to his son, John Sanders II [1757-1834]; by descent to his daughter, Mary Elizabeth Sanders, who married Harold Wilson of Germantown, New York; by descent to their daughters, Anne and Jane Wilson, by whom sold to (Thurston Thacher, Hyde Park, New York), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1956.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, 2, 26, no. 39, color repro. (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- Keck, Caroline and Sheldon Keck. "The Conservation of Two Early Paintings." Antiques 63 (February 1953): 116-119.
- "Collectors' Notes." Antiques 65 (February 1954): 148.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 136, repro., as by Unknown American.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 278, repro., as by Unknown American.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 164, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 102-103, color repro. 101.