lower right: 1755; on reverse of the original canvas: Isaac Foster; / Son of Richard;Foster Esqr. / And Parnell His Wife Was Born Janu Ye 3rd, 1703 / 4
Mrs. David Buffum, Walpole, New Hampshire, by 1873; her son, Dr. Thomas Bellows Buffum, Walpole, New Hampshire, by 1918; Annie Buffum Williams [Mrs. Nathan W. Williams], Northampton, Massachusetts, 1943. Purchased in Boston before 16 May 1949 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1957 to NGA.
- The World of Franklin and Jefferson, traveling exhibition circulated by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration, 6 venues (Paris, Warsaw, London, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles), 1975-1977, not included in cat.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, IL, 1981-1982, no. 16
- Perkins, Augustus Thorndike. A Sketch of the Life and a List of some of the Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1873: 125.
- Bayley, Frank W. The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1915: 108-109.
- Park 1918, 14.
- Historical Records Survey. "Preliminary Checklist of American Portraits 1620-1860 Found in New Hampshire." Boston, 1942: 8.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 12, repro.
- Nylander, Richard C. "Joseph Badger, American Portrait Painter". M.A. thesis, State University of New York at Oneonta, 1972: 54.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 22, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 23, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 3-4, repro. 2.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: