lower right: 1755; on reverse of the original canvas: Eleanor Foster; / Onely Daughter of William Wyer Esqr. / And Eleanor His Wife Was Born July Ye 14th, 1714.
Mrs. David Buffum, Walpole, New Hampshire, by 1873; her son, Dr. Thomas Bellows Buffum, Walpole, New Hampshire, by 1918; Annie Buffum Williams [Mrs. Nathan W. Williams], Northampton, Massachusetts, 1943. Purchased in Boston before 16 May 1949 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1957 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no cat.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Colleciton of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 12, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- National Gallery Loan Exhibition, Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1967, no. 2.
- The World of Franklin and Jefferson, traveling exhibition circulated by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration, 6 venues (Paris, Warsaw, London, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles), 1975-1977, not included in cat.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, IL, 1981-1982, no. 17
- Perkins, Augustus Thorndike. A Sketch of the Life and a List of some of the Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1873: 125.
- Bayley, Frank W. The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1915: 109.
- Park 1918, 14-15.
- Parker, Barbara N., and Anne Bolling Wheeler. John Singleton Copley: American Portraits in Oil, Pastel, and Miniature, with Biographical Sketches. Boston, 1938: 253, as by Badger.
- Historical Records Survey. "Preliminary Checklist of American Portraits 1620-1869 Found in New Hampshire." Boston, 1942: 9.
- Heydenryk, Henry. The Art and History of Frames. New York, 1963: 96, fig. 86; 117.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 12, repro., as Mrs. Isaac Foster.
- Nylander, Richard C. "Joseph Badger, American Portrait Painter." Master's thesis, State University of New York at Oneonta, 1972: 54.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 22, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 23, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 4-6, color repro. 5.