lower right: 1755; on reverse of the original fabric: Isaac;Foster: Son; OF; Isaac: / And; Eleanor; Foster; Was: Born: / August; Ye 18th: 1740
Mrs. Philip Peck, Walpole, New Hampshire; Dr. Thomas Bellows Buffum, Walpole, New Hampshire; Annie Buffum Williams [Mrs. Nathan W. Williams], Northampton, Massachusetts, 1943. Purchased before 16 May 1949 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1972-1974.
- Perkins, Augustus Thorndike. A Sketch of the Life and a List of some of the Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1873: 126.
- Bayley, Frank W. The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley. Boston, 1915: 109.
- Park 1918, 15.
- Parker, Barbara N., and Anne Bolling Wheeler. John Singleton Copley: American Portraits in Oil, Pastel, and Miniature with Biographical Sketches. Boston, 1938: 253, as by Badger.
- Historical Records Survey. "Preliminary Checklist of American Portraits 1620-1860 Found in New Hampshire." Boston, 1942: 9.
- Shipton, Clifford K. Biographical Sketches of Those who Attended Harvard College in the Classes 1756-1760, with biographical and other Notes (Sibley's Harvard Graduates 14). Boston, 1968: 262-268, repro. between 328 and 329.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 14, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 23, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 23, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 6-7, 9, repro. 7.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: