falsely signed, incised on self-base in the model and enhanced after casting: h.D.; on underside: 11/30
Marks and Labels
(Maurice Gobin, Paris), c. 1950-1956; (Henri M. Petiet, Paris); sold June 1956 to Lessing Julius Rosenwald, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Honoré Daumier, Anniversary Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1958, no. 19, as The Little Proprietor by Honoré Daumier.
- Honoré Daumier: Exhibition of Prints, Drawings, Watercolors, Paintings, and Sculpture, Los Angeles County Museum, 1958, no. 242., as by Honoré Daumier.
- Honoré Daumier, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1960, no cat.
- [Exhibition of sculpture, prints, drawings and paintings by Daumier], Watson Gallery, Wheaton College, Norton, Massachusetts, 1965, no cat.
- Daumier Sculpture: A Critical and Comparative Study, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1969, no. 56b, repro., as Le Petit Propriétaire (The Small Property Owner).
- Gobin, Maurice. Daumier Sculpteur, 1808-1879. Geneva, 1952: no. 56.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 151, as by Daumier.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 134, repro., as by Daumier.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 62, repro.
- Butler, Ruth, and Suzanne Glover Lindsay, with Alison Luchs, Douglas Lewis, Cynthia J. Mills, and Jeffrey Weidman. European Sculpture of the Nineteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 206-212, color repro.