lower right: Henri-Matisse
Possibly Oskar Moll [1875-1947], Breslau. Mrs. Hanke, Berlin. Acquired probably through (Alex Reid & Lefèvre, London) by (Kraushaar Galleries, New York); sold 18 December 1925 to Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Modern French Art from the Chester Dale Collection for the Benefit of the French Hospital of New York, Wildenstein Galleries, New York, 1928, no. 23
- "La Nature Morte" from Chardin to the Abstract. Wildenstein Galleries, New York, 1930, no. 11
- Henri Matisse, Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, 1931, no. 25.
- Kunsthalle Basel, 1912, no. 28
- Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1943-1951, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Matisse, Retrospective Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings, and Sculpture, Organized in Collaboration with the Artist, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1948, unnumbered in cat.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Dale, Maud. Before Manet to Modigliani from the Chester Dale Collection. New York, 1929: no.73, repro.
- Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. Philadelphia, 1943:, unpaginated, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 88
- Twentieth Century French Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965 (rev. ed.): 45, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:510, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 77, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 226, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 594, no. 917, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 260, repro.