The sitter's descendant, Elizabeth F.G. Heistand [Mrs. Henry S. Heistand, b. 1872], Marietta, Pennsylvania; sold December 1947 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); bought that same month by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1964 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical and Contemporary Portraits Illustratingthe Evolution of Portraiture in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, The Iris Club and Historical Society of Lancaster County, Lancaster, 1912, no. 25
- American Paintings of the 18th & Early 19th Century in Our Current Collection, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1948, no. 10b
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 13
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri, 1958, no cat.
- John Singleton Copley 1738-1815, Gilbert Stuart 1755-1828, Benjamin West 1738-1820 in America and England, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1976, no. 3
- Case, Sarah McCorkle. Bellmont, 1726 - Mt. Bethel, 1929. Columbia, Pennsylvania (?), 1929 (?): 18-20.
- Sawitzky, William. "The American Work of Benjamin West." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 62, no. 4 (October 1938): 437, 451 (12), repro.
- Flexner, James Thomas. "Benjamin West's American Neo-Classicism." New-York Historical Society Quarterly 36 (1952): 24-25.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 120, repro., as Mrs. Samuel Boudé.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 255, repro., as Mrs. Samuel Boudé.
- Dallett, Francis James. "The Inter-Colonial Grimstone Boude and his Family." The Genealogist 2, no. 1 (Spring 1981): 92.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 37, repro. 36.
- Von Erffa and Staley 1986, 494, no. 597, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 376, repro., as Mrs. Samuel Boude.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 320-321, repro. 319.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: